Subject coverage includes art, bilingual education, education, labor, literature, mental health, law, poetry, politics and sociology.This page is a resource for locating Library materials across the print and internet formats available via the Walter W. Stiern Library. For further assistance with your research, please contact Multicultural Studies Librarian, Sandra Bozarth.
Pat Robles Multicultural Collection
The Pat Robles Multicultural Collection supports the diversity of the CSUB community and the community at large. Located in the Dezember Reading Room, the collection contains selected books dealing with the historical and contemporary experiences of ethnic and racial groups in the United States, particularly African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans.
Books & Non-Print Resources
Books and other non-print sources, such as videos, CDs, and DVDs, may be located via the CSUB Library Catalog. When searching by subject, it is best to consult the Library of Congress Subject Headings. The Library of Congress, in some instances, does not use terms that are used by the general population. To get you started, you might try a few of these search terms:
- African Americans
- Asian Americans
- Chinese Americans
- Filipino Americans
- Pacific Islander Americans
- Mexican Americans (instead of Chicano)
- Hispanic Americans (instead of Latino)
- Cuban Americans
- Indians of North America (instead of Native Americans)
- Cheyenne Indians (if you know the specific tribe)
- Iroquois Indians (if you know the specific tribe)
If you need more assistance, visit the Reference Desk: you may ask a librarian or use the print copy of the Library of Congress Subject Headings (ReadyRef Z695.Z8 L524a) to find the appropriate search terms.
If you are looking for general Reference materials (encyclopedias or handbooks) related to your subject, please also visit the Books page.
- Chicano Database
- Subject coverage includes art, bilingual education, education, labor, literature, mental health, law, poetry, politics and sociology.
- Ethnic NewsWatch
- News, Culture and History from publications of the ethnic, minority and native press. Bilingual (English and Spanish).
- Handbook of Latin American Studies Online
- Bibliography of Latin America published since 1936.
Please visit the Internet Resources page for more information by racial or ethnic group.
You will find a variety of multicultural periodical titles by visiting the Social Sciences periodical page and navigating to the “Ethnic & Race Studies” category under “Gender & Ethnic Studies.” Print issues, when available, are shelved on the second floor of the Walter W. Stiern Library. Access to online periodicals may be restricted to current CSUB students, faculty and staff and require a NetID and password.